Japan Writers Conference 2022 will be held at Tokai University, Shonan Campus in Hiratsuka, Kanagawa, on Saturday, October 15th and Sunday, October 16th. Our host will be award-winning novelist Charles Kowalski. Hiratsuka is on Sagami Bay, not far from Odawara. As in the past, the Conference will be free and open to all who wish to attend.
- From Shinjuku or points east: Take the Odakyu line (local, express, or rapid express) bound for Odawara or Hakone-Yumoto.
- From Odawara or points west: Take the Odakyu line (local, express, or rapid express) bound for Shinjuku.
- If you wish to take the limited express Romance Car (reservation required), the nearest stop coming from Shinjuku is Hon-Atsugi. The nearest stop coming from Odawara is Hadano. From there, transfer to an express or local train.
- Get off at Tokaidaigaku-mae station (about 65 minutes from Shinjuku or 25 from Odawara).
- From the south exit (left turn after the ticket gates), it’s about a 15-minute walk to campus. Or, from bus stop #1, you can catch the 学04, 巻02, 秦44, or 秦45 bus to “Tokai Daigaku Kita-mon” (about 5 minutes).
- There are also buses from Hiratsuka station on the JR Tokaido Line (平71 or 平74). These take longer (about 1 hour) and stop at the south side of campus (“Tokai Daigaku Seimon”), farther from the venue.
- The nearest Shinkansen stop (for Kodama or Hikari) is Odawara. From there, follow the “by train from Odawara” directions above.
- If you take the Nozomi, the nearest stop is Shin-Yokohama. From there, take the JR Yokohama Line to Machida. Walk from JR Machida to Odakyu Machida (about 5 minutes) and follow the “by train from Shinjuku or points east” directions above.
From Narita or Haneda airports, the easiest way is to take a Kanachu bus to Hon-Atsugi or Sagami-Ono (about 2½ hours and ￥3500 from Narita or 1 hour and ￥1500 from Haneda). Details can be found at https://www.kanachu.co.jp/bus/airport/
The nearest interchange is Hiratsuka, on the Odawara-Atsugi road (a branch of the Tomei Expressway). The Hadano-Nakai interchange on the Tomei Expressway is also reasonably close. Parking on campus is available; please ask at the guard booth for a temporary parking permit.
By Other Means
Despite the name “Shonan,” the campus is far enough away from the water that travel by boat is not a viable option, and landing space for helicopters is severely limited. There is, however, no magical prohibition against Apparating or Disapparating on campus.