Japan Writers Conference 2022 will be held at Tokai University, Shonan Campus in Hiratsuka, Kanagawa, and our host will be award-winning novelist Charles Kowalski. Hiratsuka is on Sagami Bay, not far from Odawara. As in the past, the Conference will be free and open to all who wish to attend.
The conference will take place on Saturday, October 15th and Sunday, October 16th. Please take note of the steps for navigating campus below. Directions by various means to campus and a list of nearby hotels are below that.
When You Arrive On Campus
- Please use the north gate (the one across from Sukiya, closest to the Tokai-Daigaku-Kitamon bus stop).
- The conference will be in Building 6 (about 10 minutes’ walk from the north gate), A wing (tucked in back). If you get lost, you can ask a guard at any of the gates for directions to Building 6 (roku-gou-kan).
- When you arrive at the conference, please give your health monitoring form to one of the conference staff (John, Karen, or Charles).
- If you’re coming by car, please use the #3 parking lot (outside the campus walls; no need to drive through the checkpoint). There’s a pedestrian entrance to the campus across the street from the parking lot.
- Buses from Tokaidaigakumae station will be running on the Saturday-Sunday schedule (shown on the map).
- The cafeteria and convenience store on campus will be open on Saturday (with a limited menu), but closed on Sunday. There are also several other restaurants and convenience stores outside the walls; the map shows where most of them are concentrated.
- Rich Bailey has kindly compiled a Google Map highlighting the conference venue, the site of the party on Saturday (Cafe Michel in the Town News Building near the station), and some eateries in the area. Thanks, Rich! Click here to see an interactive map. Click here to download a PDF of the map.
- From Shinjuku or points east: Take the Odakyu line (local, express, or rapid express) bound for Odawara or Hakone-Yumoto.
- From Odawara or points west: Take the Odakyu line (local, express, or rapid express) bound for Shinjuku.
- If you wish to take the limited express Romance Car (reservation required), the nearest stop coming from Shinjuku is Hon-Atsugi. The nearest stop coming from Odawara is Hadano. From there, transfer to an express or local train.
- Get off at Tokaidaigaku-mae station (about 65 minutes from Shinjuku or 25 from Odawara).
- From the south exit (left turn after the ticket gates), it’s about a 15-minute walk to campus. Or, from bus stop #1, you can catch the 学04, 巻02, 秦44, or 秦45 bus to “Tokai Daigaku Kita-mon” (about 5 minutes).
- There are also buses from Hiratsuka station on the JR Tokaido Line (平71 or 平74). These take longer (about 1 hour) and stop at the south side of campus (“Tokai Daigaku Seimon”), farther from the venue.
- The nearest Shinkansen stop (for Kodama or Hikari) is Odawara. From there, follow the “by train from Odawara” directions above.
- If you take the Nozomi, the nearest stop is Shin-Yokohama. From there, take the JR Yokohama Line to Machida. Walk from JR Machida to Odakyu Machida (about 5 minutes) and follow the “by train from Shinjuku or points east” directions above.
From Narita or Haneda airports, the easiest way is to take a Kanachu bus to Hon-Atsugi or Sagami-Ono (about 2½ hours and ￥3500 from Narita or 1 hour and ￥1500 from Haneda). Details can be found at https://www.kanachu.co.jp/bus/airport/
The nearest interchange is Hiratsuka, on the Odawara-Atsugi road (a branch of the Tomei Expressway). The Hadano-Nakai interchange on the Tomei Expressway is also reasonably close. Parking on campus is available; please ask at the guard booth for a temporary parking permit.
By Other Means
Despite the name “Shonan,” the campus is far enough away from the water that travel by boat is not a viable option, and landing space for helicopters is severely limited. There is, however, no magical prohibition against Apparating or Disapparating on campus.
Near HON-ATSUGI STATION (15 minutes to Tokaidaigakumae, coming from Shinjuku)
Odakyu Station Hotel Hon-Atsugi (30 seconds from station)
Toyoko Inn Hon-Atsugi Minami-Guchi (5 minutes from station)
Near ISEHARA STATION (6 minutes to Tokaidaigakumae, coming from Shinjuku)
Apa Hotel Isehara Ekimae (2 minutes from station)
Hotel Select Inn Isehara (4 minutes from station)
Isehara Daiichi Hotel (3 minutes from station)
Near HADANO STATION (5 minutes to Tokaidaigakumae, coming from Odawara)
Grand Hotel Kanachu (2 minutes from station)